So, I re-watched this movie called The Pursuit of Happyness which was based on a true story. I was inspired on how Chris Gardner struggled for success in life. From rags to riches. despite so many hurdles that came in his way, such as marital separation, being a single father, homelessness, and being in so much debt.
I remember watching this when I was a kid. However, I was not able to relate to the movie that much. Now as an adult, I pretty much absorbed all the lessons that were portrayed in the movie.
I continued to dig-in further about Chris and the experiences he had, what he was doing as of this day, etc. Currently, he is a Motivational speaker and a philanthropist. I watched some of the videos that he had, and came across his Top 10 Rules for Success. I wanted to share these awesome rules that he established to fuel our motivation.
Commit to Plan A
- We all have dreams and goals, our own vision of success, but what is your plan? He talks about the C5 complex of a plan and how it has to be clear, concise, compelling, consistent and committed. It struck me when he pointed out that when you are trying to do something that you are truly passionate about, there is no Plan B. Plan B sucks.
Family Comes First
- He talks about the meetings and conference calls that can be rescheduled, your son will only have that one first baseball game. If it goes down to picking which one comes first, his son is his top priority.
Decide to be World Class
- He expressed that he wanted to be world class at something, but back then he did not know what that Something was. When he learned that being a stockbroker was his calling, he strived to be the best in what he does and became persistent.
Have Self Worth
- I like it when he said to never confuse your SELF WORTH with your NET WORTH. Your net worth can fluctuate up and down but your self worth should not. Who you truly are should never be negotiable, compromised and should never settle.
Keep your team Motivated
- How do you motivate key employees? You have to respect them, let them grow and trust them. Then, you have to leave them alone. You also have to show them how they could make more money than they have ever made in their lives. By helping them believe in themselves. By igniting passion and determination, you can help them reach an incredible amount of personal development leading to success.
Change is Necessary
- Change is a risk, it is scary, and a lot of people fear it. With the status quo, you know what you have. With change, you do not know what you end up with. It is absolutely necessary for personal growth and it is going to happen. Either you pick the time to instigate change in your life, or time and change will pick you.
Baby Steps Count
- As long as you are moving forward, keep going and one day those added baby steps may surprise you.
Follow Your Passion
- What are you going to do with the rest of your life? If you are doing something that you are not fully committed to. If you are doing something you are not passionate about, you are compromising yourself every day.
Do Whatever it Takes
- If you have a dream, if you have a goal, GO FOR IT. Do not let anything stand in your way. You may get tired, frustrated, or discouraged, but do whatever it takes to keep moving towards your goal.
Start Where you Are
- Create an opportunity where your skills and talents can be transferable. Find something that you are so passionate about that you are even willing to do it for free. Start from where you are and take those necessary steps to help you live your passion.
Comment with your thoughts and share which of the 10 rules struck you the most. 🙂